Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Some parts I like

A good friend stopped by and after we dug around in my bike room for a part he needed....He stated rather matter of fact like that I'm crazy. He said I'm more of a collector than a rider and that he thinks I like the mechanical aspects of bikes more than the riding. Well....I suppose that's kinda true. The bicycle is to me virtually all consuming. I really love the bicycle as a machine. And I certainly spend more time researching, reading about or just tinkering with the contraptions then I do riding them.

So I'm gonna share a few of my favorite bike parts. I'll apologize in advance for the crappy pics. First up is the Huret Jubilee rear derailleur. I'd say it is probably in my top five favorite parts mainly for it's simple beauty. What's amazing to me is that despite it's age it still may be the lightest rear derailleur ever made. I have three of these. Two of the older models and one of the newer ones which has drilled pulley cages. Lovely!


Next up are some Modolo Kronos brake levers. I think being a child of the 80's gives me a special appreciation for these levers. But to be perfectly honest it's the weight that I really love. At 180 grams I believe they are the lightest aero levers ever. Plus.....They match nicely with the next component.....


Modolo Kronos shift levers. Like the brake levers they have a bit of a reputation for being flimsy. That's OK with me 'cause these are some seriously light levers at around 40 grams.


So....That's it for this installment.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly, What is your long term experience with these three components? Do you still like them 3 years later? I'm thinking of using the Modolo downtube shifters for an upcoming build. Do they work? Have you encountered any problems (like them snapping in half)? Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete