Thursday, February 19, 2009

Hi-E

I absolutely love Hi-E hubs...For the most part because they were very light and innovative for their time and also because they were made in the good ol' US of A. Pictured below is my collection (so far) of hubs (minus one which is laced into a Fiamme tubular rim). I've got a bit of research to do so that I can figure out which models are which but that's half the fun. I found this page with some catalog scans so I'll do some digging there. And there is also a bit of discussion about Hi-E in general in the bikelist archives. Velobase has a few entries on Hi-E as well. If you havent' been to that site it's great and I use it almost daily!
Aside from hubs Hi-E also made rims (which I will have very soon), spokes, spoke nipples, bottle cages, pedals and a roadbike frame (and probably more stuff I haven't varified).


If anyone has any info on Hi-E I'd love to hear it.....If you have any parts gathering dust I'd like those too ;)....Or at least a pic and a story about the part!
The company is still listed in the yellow pages so I wonder if it is still around? I've read that Mr. Meyers tried to sell the biz in the late 80's/early 90's and I have not found any indication that Hi-E components are still being produced.
I certainly admire his work and would love to have a chat with him.....

No comments:

Post a Comment